To quote Nat King Cole (the first to ever record “The Christmas Song,” and the only one to ever really master it – the only one who really counts, in my opinion), it is COLD outside, and yes, jack frost is nipping at that nose of mine. Nothing quite says Christmas like this classic song…and egg nog (no spiking please, for I am an egg nog purist!), and spending quality time with loved ones, while acting out old traditions and starting new ones. What really gets me in the Christmas spirit is putting on the Charlie Brown Christmas album and decorating the Christmas tree with my family and some egg nog (at the moment, I’m really enjoying Maple View Farm’s egg nog, and the adorable glass bottle it comes in.
I love making my great grandmother’s fudge and waking up Christmas morning to her two famous coffee cakes that my parents and relatives drunkenly slave over until the wee small hours of the morning – it’s a glorious frenzy that has ensued over the past few years on Christmas Eve, and in the midst of the labor, somehow everything winds up getting coated with a nice dusting of flour. Who knows, this year I may even take part in the madness!
I love listening to Christmas music and prefer classic over cheesy and poppy. I love watching Christmas movies and cruising around, admiring everyone’s Christmas lights and decorations – both classy and tacky, they’re all amusing. My favorites are those beautiful balls of lights people hang in their trees, that give the illusion that they are floating. They’re almost planet-like and they are fantastic. I like finding gifts for the people I love and waiting ’til the last minute to wrap them all…Bagging counts as wrapping, right?
I miss the excitement of believing in Santa – the excitement that would keep me in bed, unable to fall asleep and then overwhelm me first thing in the morning.
I love the idea of stockings. I love that my friend Donna wraps everything she puts in them.
So in lieu of my Christmas spirit and anticipation of this lovely and crazy holiday, I present you with my favorite Christmas play list and my list of favorite Christmas movies.
- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Death Cab For Cutie
- Baby it’s Cold Outside – Zooey Deschanel & Leon Redbone
- Frosty the Snowman – Fiona Apple
- Santa Baby – Eartha Kitt
- O Tannenbaum – Vince Guaraldi Trio
- Christmas Time is Here – Vince Guaraldi Trio
- What Child is This – Vince Guaraldi Trio
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Lou Rawls
- The Christmas Song – Nat King Cole
- White Christmas – Otis Redding
- Merry Christmas, Baby – The Beach Boys
- White Christmas – Bing Crosby
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- A Christmas Story
- Love Actually
- While You Were Sleeping (not exactly what you’d think of when Christmas movies are generally considered, but hey, it’s one of my favorites and it does take place during Christmas…)
- White Christmas
- The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (believe it or not, and yes, I know this may be sacrilegious, but I speak of the Jim Carey version. I find him absolutely hilarious and perfect in this and love Anthony Hopkins’ narration).
What do the holidays mean to you? What kinds of traditions do you share? Whatever the holidays mean to you, I hope you savor and enjoy them because they come and go oh so quickly. I am off to bed, to dream about sugar-plums…or the delicious Humming Bird Bakery lemon Bars and Smitten Kitchen marbled brownies I am going to bake on Thursday ; )